April is Child Abuse Prevention Month
New Report Sheds Light on Child Abuse
For Immediate Release: April 1, 2015
Contact: DFPS Media Specialists
Child Protective Services (CPS) investigated more than 168,164 allegations of child abuse or neglect in Texas last year. 151 children died at the hands of a parent or other caregiver. 66,572 children were victims of abuse or neglect, and more than 17,378 had to be removed from their homes for their own protection.
A new report from the DFPS Office of Child Safety found that 8 out of 10 children who died from abuse or neglect in Texas over a four-year period were 3 years old or younger and most died at the hands of parents.
"If you suspect abuse, please report it so we can investigate," said Judge John Specia, commissioner of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. "But we also need to reach parents before they reach a breaking point. So many Texas parents are young, poor and under stress. They need the help of their families and communities to succeed and keep kids safe."
Governor Greg Abbott proclaimed April as Child Abuse Prevention Month, and all across Texas CPS is joining local governments, community groups, service organizations, activists, and others to put the spotlight on preventing, recognizing, and reporting child abuse. Read the Governor's proclamation.
DFPS' Help for Parents, Hope for Kids campaign educates parents about child abuse and points them to help in their communities to strengthen their parenting skills and learn to better care for their kids. The campaign's Facebook page (HelpandHopeKids) shares fun and helpful ideas and resources for families, and anyone can download the 2015 Child Abuse Prevention Calendar from HelpandHope.org (in both English and Spanish).
The campaign website also contains inspiring testimonials of parents who overcame abuse to become better parents and break the cycle of abuse.
- 7,266,760 # of children in Texas
- 168,164 # of completed CPS investigations
- 66,572 # confirmed victims of child abuse or neglect
- 17,378 # of children removed from their homes due to abuse or neglect
- 151 # of abuse/neglect child deaths
- 3,262 # families served by DFPS prevention programs
- 46,066 # of youth served by DFPS prevention program
See the DFPS Annual Report and Data Book on the DFPS website for more statistics.
Other DFPS Hotlines and Websites
- Infant Sleeping Death Prevention: BabyRoomToBreathe.org
- Water Safety: WatchKidsAroundWater.org
- Texas Youth and Runaway Hotline (1-888-580-HELP) & website: TexasYouth.org
- Office of Child Safety: http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Prevention_and_Early_Intervention/Office_of_Child_Safety.asp
- DFPS website : www.dfps.state.tx.us
- Adoption: AdoptChildren.org