10 Quick Things You Can Do When You Feel Stressed
No one said being a parent was easy! But it's very important to take care of yourself as well as your children. When you feel overwhelmed with crying babies, squabbling kids, busy workdays or parent-to-parent problems, take a quick break for one of the following:
- Take several slow deep breaths.
- Call a friend and chat. Or better yet, laugh!
- Ask a trusted adult for help.
- Put your child in a safe place and leave the room for a few minutes.
- Take a walk. Fresh air and sunshine work wonders.
- Take a warm bath or shower.
- Relax your neck and shoulders. Do some light stretching.
- Listen to calming music.
- Take a mental break. Daydream about a relaxing place.
- Make yourself a healthy snack or a warm drink.
- HelpGuide.org offers parents healthy stress reduction tips for all the senses. [go now]
- Download and print these tip sheets from our Parent Resource Library.
- Watch this funny video about a father who lets stress from work interfere with play time with his daughter: