10 Quick Things You Can Do When You Feel Stressed
No one said being a parent was easy! But it's very important to take care of yourself as well as your children. When you feel overwhelmed with crying babies, squabbling kids, busy workdays or parent-to-parent problems, take a quick break for one of the following:
- Take a deep breath and count to 10.
- Phone a friend.
- Ask someone in the room for help.
- Put your child in a crib, playpen, or other safe place and leave the room.
- Have a responsible adult take care of your children while you go for a walk or drive.
- Take a short nap. Just like you have a hard time dealing with your children when you're tired, remember that it's hard for your children to deal with you when they are sleepy. Make sure you set a bedtime or naptime routine for everyone to follow.
- Change your body language. Are you yelling, waving your arms, or frowning? Try a calmer, more controlled posture, like standing with your hands on your hips, or sitting side-by-side with your child.
- Play your favorite song and sing along to it.
- Cuddle with the family pet.
- Make yourself a healthy snack.
- HelpGuide.org offers parents healthy stress reduction tips for all the senses. [go now]
- Download and print these tip sheets from our Parent Resource Library.
- Watch this funny video about a father who lets stress from work interfere with play time with his daughter: